ORTOFON 2M MONO PHONO CARTRIDGE
The Ortofon 2M Mono cartridge is a true mono cartridge.
A true mono cartridge is designed, wired and built only to retrieve signals off the record in the horizontal plane.
The groove of a monaural recording is modulated only in the horizontal plane. Stereo recordings, on the other hand, are cut into the vinyl at a forty-five degree angle with a separate channel of information on each of the grove walls, thus requiring the stylus to pick up signals in both the horizontal and vertical plane. As a stereo cartridge sums the channels internally, it picks up noise from the vertical plane of the record grooves.
Interestingly, in a mono record much of the surface noise is in the vertical plane, so avoiding this plane is beneficial.
By not even picking up or amplifying this information you eliminate a lot of the noise from mono records that you hear when played back through a stereo cartridge.
Ortofon 2M Mono Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.: 4 mV
- Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-22,000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 70 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 18 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude Spherical
- Stylus tip radius: R18 µm (0.0007 inch)
- Tracking force range: 1.6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 700 Ohm
- Internal inductance: 350 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus: Black/White
- Cartridge weight without screws: 7.2 g
- Replacement stylus unit: 2M Mono
- Stylus protection guard: 2M Mono
- Accessories included: 1 x Stylus brush, 1 x Screwdriver, 2 x Screw M2.5 x 5, 2 x Screw M2.5 x 7