DENON DL-103 DL 103 DL103 PHONO CARTRIDGE
- Stereophile Recommended Component Class C 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
"For the first round-up, I was initially to have received the slightly upscale version of Denon's
venerable DL-103 (the "R" version)—favored by none another than Dave Wilson, regardless of price, for its
tonal accuracy and overall balance—but instead perhaps due to a communication mix-up, I ended up with the
straight DL-103. Whichever model you consider, at $379 and $229 respectively, this true classic, which has
been in production since I got into this hobby in the mid-70s, must be counted among audio's most remarkable
- Wayne Garcia, The Absolute Sound, October 2010, Issue 206, p36
The Denon DL-103 phono cartridge is the only moving coil cartridge that has withstood the test of time. Developed by Denon in collaboration with the Japan Broadcasting Corporation Technical Research Laboratories as a high-performance, high-reliability phono cartridge for broadcasting purposes, the Denon DL-103 has been in continuous production since 1963.
While other "wonder" cartridges have come and gone, the Denon DL-103 continues to thrive by offering musical rightness. There is no other cartridge that comes close to its legacy. The Denon DL-103 phono cartridge has been in use for a long time in public and commercial AM and FM broadcasting stations. It was used by EMI and Decca as their reference for evaluating LP sound quality. It's been evaluated, reviewed and praised by many publications and end-users. It's been around for over 40 years. Along the way, it has captured the hearts and minds of technical experts, audiophiles and music lovers. It's a testament that greatness endures. This is what comes with your ownership of a Denon DL-103. It is a phono cartridge that you will enjoy for a very long time.
Denon DL-103 Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Type: Moving coil
- Output voltage: 0.3mV
- Frequency response: 20Hz-45kHz
- Output impedance: 40 ohms
- Channel balance @ 1kHz: < 1db
- Channel separation @ 1kHz: 25dB
- Stylus tip: 0.2 mm special round solid diamond
- Compliance: 5 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Recommended tracking force: 2.5 +/- 0.3g
- Color: Black
- Weight: 8.5 g
- Recommended load resistance: 100 ohms or more
- For higher fidelity, the Denon DL-A100 cartridge was developed by precisely reproducing the original engineering reference model of the high-performance Japanese standard cartridge DL-103 and elevating its performance, accuracy and musicality by using the latest tuning technologies.