AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-PEQ30 MM/MC PHONO PREAMP
- Unleash the sound of your turntable's cartridge
"How about a sweet sounding phono preamp that lists for 229...? It's the Audio-Technica AT-PEQ30, a solid frame plug'n'play box with a wall-wart power supply that's quiet, sounds fabulous and surprisingly musical, and get's the job done remarkably well." for both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges1
Audio-Technica is unexceeded in coming up with wonderful surprises- bargains and delightful performers - like the Audio-Technica AT-PEQ30 phono preamp. Compact in size, attractively encased in polished metal, complete with AC/DC adapter - it is ready to plug and play
music after a short break-in period. Actually it sounds great right outof the box but sounds even better afterwards...
We have used the AT-PEQ30 to initially test the cartridges that we were setting up for customers. (Nagaoka, Audio-Technica, Ortofon, Clearaudio, The Vessel, London, Denon, Hana, etc. It was during this time that we discovered the AT-PEQ30's extrordinary performance and
versatility. This $200 gem could cope with high-end audio.
The details, the sound stage and depth were there. Vocals were especially very convincing. Bass was tight though not visceral and did not have the wallop that we would have liked.
You could detect a slight sizzle at the top end in some recordings but it was not irritating at all. It's not as pristine and dynamic the as Graham Slee Era Gold Mk.V phono preamp, the highs are pristine and without distortion and the sound stage is wider and deeper -
but then it costs over 5 times more.
We have been intrigued by the new Ortofon 2M Red cartridge so we used it with the Audio-Technica AT-PEQ30 phono preamp. Initially we thought that the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge offered outstanding clarity. After extensive listening comparisons however we've
concluded that the Ortofon 2M Red interprets music in its own way. It spotlights certain aspects of a performance. For example when playing the same recording, the rhythm guitar would be more prominent while with all the other cartridges the guitar was less so.
The Audio-Technica AT-PEQ30 phono preamp also provided us an opportunity to reveal its synergy with the Vessel cartridge. The A3SE sounded lusciously clear, layered, wide sound stage, rhythmic and harmonic. We just focused on the music to savor and enjoy - which we belive how it should be.
Audio-Technica AT-PEQ30 Phono Preamp Specifications
- Input type: RCA gold plated
- Impedance: MM Type: 47k ohms | MC Type: 120 ohms
- Rated input level: MM type: 4.5mV | MC Type: 0.28mV
- Rated Output: MM Type: 250 mV | MC Type: 250 mV
- Gain: MM type: 35 dB | MC Type: 59 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio: MM Type: 100 dB | MC Type: 74 dB
- RIAA deviation: MM type: RIAA 20-20,000 Hz +/- 0.5dB | MC Type: 20-20,000 Hz +/- 0.5dB
- Power supply, DC 15 V, 1.2 A
- Mains voltage USA, Canada: 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption: 20 mA
- Dimensions: 47 mm (1.85") H x 197.5 mm (7.78") W x 125.5 mm (4.94") D (excluding protrusions)
- Weight: 890 g (31.4 oz.)
- Furnished accessories: AC/DC adapter
- Break-in period: 100 hours (Recommended by LP Gear)
- Warranty: 1 year
Footnote 1: LP GEAR review of SET cartridge inspections (May 2021).