AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-440MLA AT 440MLA AT440MLA PHONO CARTRIDGE
- 2013, 2014, 2015 Editors Choice Award The Absolute Sound March Issue 231, 241, 251.
"This is one of the great audio bargains....it (AT440Mla) is closer to the master tape..."
- David A. Rich, The Sensible Sound, Issue 112, May/June 2007
"brim with opulent timbres and resounding tunefulness."1
"The AT440MLa - this cartridge has provided me with more hours of vinyl enjoyment than any other..."
- Alberto De Roma, Audio VeeViews
With the improved AT440MLa phono cartridge, Audio-Technica delivers musical excellence in an affordable audiophile cartridge that rightfully should be compared with moving magnets costing up to $500. Yes, it is that good. The Audio-Technica AT440MLa's excellence lies in the suitable employment of advanced designs uniquely available to Audio-Technica because of its rich technical history and production capabilities:
● Audio-Technica's Vector-Aligned Dual Magnet design, which uses two tiny magnets to achieve ideal geometry and low magnet mass, for excellent channel separation and extended frequency response.
● The Audio-Technica AT440MLa MicroLine stylus produces better high frequency response with less wear and distortion than elliptical or conventional linear contact styli. The small curving rate of the MicroLine stylus enables it to track and playback the inner part of the record groove that other styli can hardly maintain. Also the curving rate of the MicroLine stylus does not change until the stylus is almost worn unlike that of conventional styli which increases as they are used. Accordingly, the MicroLine stylus has a much longer average playing life. It plays better, longer.
● The Audio-Technica AT440MLa's Paratoroidal Signal Generator is composed of a unified, laminated coil core wound with a single piece of wire eliminating internal mechanical and electrical connections, minimizing magnetic losses and assuring better signal transfer.
● The coil incorporates PCOCC wire (Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting), a special copper with virtually no transverse crystal barriers to impede signal transmission, for distortion-free sound. PCOCC is used in the construction of its coil and lead wires.
Audio-Technica AT440MLa Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Output voltage @ 1kHz,5cm/sec.: 4mV
- Channel balance @ 1kHz: 0.8dB
- Channel separation @ 1kHz: 27dB
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Dynamic compliance (x10-6 cm/dyne): 10
- Static compliance (x10-6 cm/dyne): 40
- Stylus type: 0.12 mil nude square micro-linear
- Tracking force range: 1.0 - 1.8 g
- Tracking force recommended: 1.4 g (14 mN)
- Vertical tracking angle: 20°
- Coil impedance @ 1kHz: 3.2k ohm
- Coil inductance @ 1kHz: 490 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47k ohms
- Color: Black/Violet
- Weight: 6.5 g
- Dimensions (mm): H17.3 × W16 × D28.2
- Stylus replacement: Audio-Technica ATN440MLA
- Accessories included: Screwdriver, screws, nuts, headshell wires
Footnote 1: Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound 2015 Editors Choice Awards: Audio-Technica AT440MLa / AT150MLX (March 2015, Issue 251), 104. This is a summary of a full review
from Issue 216 that describes these cartridges as offering their own authenticity and musical rewards over the long haul.