AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-150MLX AT 150MLX AT150MLX PHONO CARTRIDGE
- 2013, 2014, 2015 Editors Choice Award The Absolute Sound March Issue 231, 241, 251.
The Audio-Technica AT150MLX reproduces subtle details faithfully, clearly, exquisitely. It is superbly accurate and musical. It lifts listening to a new level of articulation and enjoyment. This is really the characteristic that distinguishes the Audio-Technica AT150MLX phono cartridge.
"Everything points to the AT150MLX as the best moving magnet design."
- David A. Rich, The Sensible Sound, Issue 112, May/June 2007
Six technologies are harnessed to produce this extraordinary and highly accurate phono cartridge:
- Vector-Aligned™ phono cartridge: Patented by Audio-Technica, vector-aligned phono cartridges feature
two magnetic generators arranged in the shape of a "V". These two magnets are positioned precisely to match the positions of the right and left channels in the stereo record groove. Major benefits of the Vector-Aligned cartridge include outstanding channel separation, very low distortion and superb tracking performance.
- Boron cantilever: Its tiny, gold plated boron cantilever provides an extremely rigid yet lightweight platform to which the stylus is mounted. The gold plating also acts to dampen the nano resonance that the boron may produce.
- MicroLine™ Stylus: The stylus used in the Audio-Technica AT150MLX is the latest and most advanced design. More closely resembling the cutter stylus than any previous design, this shape produces better high frequency response with less wear or distortion than with earlier configurations.
- PCOCC wire: A technologically advanced pure copper material is used in Audio-Technica's exclusive Paratoroidal Signal Generator. Together with the laminated core structure, which minimizes loss in the high frequency region, this integrated paratoriodal signal generator achieves an efficiency greater than conventional cartridges. The use of PCOCC wire (Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting) perfects the performance of the advanced paratoroidal coil design. A special high-temperature extrusion die produces copper with virtually no transverse crystal barriers to impede signal transmission or color sound. Even the output terminals are constructed of PCOCC copper. The coils of the Audio-Technica AT150MLX thus transmit distortion-free sound up to its output posts. The most subtle details are reproduced with clarity and purity.
- Mu-metal shielding: A mu-metal shielding plate between the left and right channels in the generator system assure that the high level of channel separation achieved is preserved at the cartridge output.
- Anti-resonance ceramic mounting base: To further increase the accuracy of the AT150MLX's moving system, Audio-Technica
engineers have ensured against unwanted parasitic vibration with an anti-resonance ceramic mounting base.
Audio-Technica AT150MLX Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Tonearm mount: 1/2 inch
- Type: VM Moving magnet
- Output voltage: 4mV
- Frequency response: 10Hz-23kHz
- Load impedance: 47k ohms
- Channel separation @ 1kHz/10kHz: 30/20dB
- Channel balance: 0.8dB
- Stylus type: Microline
- Cantilever: Gold-plated boron
- Vertical tracking angle: 23 °
- Tracking force: 0.75-1.75 g
- Static compliance (x 10-6 cm/dyne): 40.0
- Dynamic compliance (x 10-6 cm/dyne, 100 Hz): 10.0
- Recommended load capacitance: 100-200 pF
- Coil wiring: PCOCC
- Weight: 8.3 g
- Accessories included: User guide, mounting hardware
- Stylus replacement: Audio-Technica ATN150MLX
- Warranty: 1 year
Reviews & Resources
Audio-Technica AT150MLX Review - The Sensible Sound
1 Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound 2015 Editors Choice Awards: Audio-Technica AT440MLa / AT150MLX (March 2015, Issue 251), 104. This is a synopsis of a full review
from Issue 216 that describes these cartridges as offering their own authenticity and musical rewards over the long haul.