ORTOFON 2M BLACK PHONO CARTRIDGE
- 2015, 2014, 2013 Stereophile Recommended Component Class B; 2013 Editors Choice Award The Absolute Sound March 2013 Issue 231.
The Ortofon 2M Black phono cartridge is the moving magnet flagship from Ortofon. It uses a special upgraded engine that's different from that used in the less expensive 2M Red and 2M Blue cartridges. It features split pole pins (an Ortofon technique used in the 500 series and Super OM cartridges) with a silver plated copper wire. The Ortofon 2M black uses a Shibata diamond stylus renowned for its silky smooth presentation with no glare or treble emphasis. Its slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the groove walls and ensures notably detailed reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information.
Ortofon 2M Black Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Output voltage @ 1kHz: 5mV
- Channel balance @ 1kHz: 1dB
- Channel separation: 26dB @ 1kHz; 15dB @ 15kHz
- Frequency range: 20Hz-31kHz -3dB
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz +2/-0dB
- Tracking ability @ 315Hz @ recommended tracking force: 80 µm
- Compliance dynamic lateral: 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude shibata
- Stylus tip radius: .0002 x .002 inch
- Tracking force: 1.4 - 1.7 g
- Recommended tracking force: 1.5 g
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance DC resistance: 1.2k ohms
- Internal inductance: 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47k ohms
- Recommended load capacitance: 150 - 300 pF
- Color: Black
- Weight: 7.2 g
- Stylus replacement: Ortofon 2M Black
- For upgrades and accessories that enhance sound quality and fidelity, refer to Related Products.
Footnote 1: "Recommended 500 Components", Stereophile, Vol. 39 No.10 (October 2016) 65.
Footnote 2: Ibid.
Footnote 3: Michael Fremer, "Nine Cartridges Reviewed, Compared and File Identities Revealed!", Analog Planet, August 22, 2013. The venerable reviewer found the Ortofon 2M Black cartridge reproduces music more "live" and less like a recording.